Monday, October 19, 2009

A Donation For Life Because One Day It Could Be Yours

For those of you that are following me on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/shanman98), you might have recently seen a re-Tweet (RT) regarding the Beat Cancer campaign. If you are not familiar, for every tweet that you make that has the #beatcancer hash tag, a certain amount of money is donated to the Cancer Fund. Hey, if my tweets with those hash tag are helping, then I am more than willing to do my part to help find a cure.

But, it's just more than making a tweet to raise money and awareness. There are many other ways that you can make a difference when it comes to causes that you would like to help out with and I'm here to advocate such awareness. Last week my friend, Alicia, sent me an email informing me that she is working with the Donate Life Northwest organization that raises awareness for organ donation. Alicia's email couldn't have come at a better and more poignant moment in my life as I had found out a few short days before that one of my close cousins was diagnosed with Kidney Cancer.

Please take a few moments to read Alicia's email and hopefully you can help her achieve her goal. It would mean so much to me, but even more for Alicia as you will see the impact organ donation has been made on her life.

You will see that I have donated an amount to help her out, but anything you can give--whether it be $2 or $5, you know that your hard earned money is not wasted.

Also, please feel free to re-direct people to this blog page if you think some of your other friends would be willing to donate and help Alicia reach her goal.

Much love and respect,

Shan

Dear friends and family,

You are invited to join me for Donate Life Northwest's annual Lifesavers Breakfast on Thursday, November 5, 2009 at 7:30 a.m. (see below invitation for more information)

As many of you know I was the recipient of a life saving kidney from my brother Justin back in April 2007. Since that time I have been volunteering with Donate Life Northwest to help raise awareness about organ donation. By joining me at the 2009 Lifesavers Breakfast you can help contribute to this amazing cause.

This year's program features the internationally acclaimed speaker Reg Green, who will share the story of how his son, Nicholas, touched thousands of people throughout the world as an organ donor. When seven-year-old Nicholas was fatally shot while vacationing in Italy in 1994, his parents Reg & Maggie Green made the decision to donate their son's organs to seven Italians in need of transplants. Their generosity received worldwide media attention and brought on a remarkable change in attitudes toward organ donation.

The event is free to attend, but donations are appreciated. My goal this year as table captain is to raise $500. I have at least 8 openings at the table, but can accommodate more if there are enough people interested in attending in person. If you would like to contribute towards our goal, but cannot attend in person, you can donate by going here: http://www.firstgiving.com/aliciasoine

If you would like to attend in person, please RSVP to this e-mail by no later than Wednesday, October 21, 2009. Also, please forward this invitation on to anyone you think would be interested in attending this amazing event or contributing to Donate Life Northwest's mission.

Thank you so much!

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sheep